Re: Stupid crackers exploiting stupid users

Peter Van Epp (vanepp@sfu.ca)
Sun, 23 Oct 1994 08:03:26 -0700 (PDT)

	I expect that what I have to do with this is being seen as assisting
the idiot that is doing this in his endevour to no longer be an SFU student.
I say seen, because in the normal case (and probably this one) they manage
to spend enough time attempting to break in to our systems (or on IRC) that
they flunk without me doing anything further. The account used on helix.net is
compromised. Their systems people have been and are aware that their system
is compromised (as is CERT).
	So far the title has not been justified, of the 250+ complaints
(some such as this one, more reasonable and/or printable than others) only
4 of them have contained password files (and 2 of those don't count, since
one was helix's from the compromised account, and one was a shadowed one
with no passwords). I of course sent the suggestion back to all except
helix (with a copy to root at the site) that forwarding the email to their
sys admin seems a lot more reasonable action than sending me their site's
password file (even if I seemed to have asked for it).